PARENTS: ABOUT THE FIRST STEPS PROGRAM
Countywide Coordination & Support provided by:
The American Academy of Pediatrics, California Chapter 3 is the countywide coordinator for the First Steps program. AAP-CA3 is dedicated to achieving optimal health (physical, mental and social) for all children (infants, children, and adolescents) in San Diego and Imperial Counties, and is dedicated to supporting its’ membership in achieving this vision. Visit website.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Visits may include:
- Tips for staying healthy.
- Information on what to expect during your prenatal visits.
- Setting goals for the future (e.g., continue education, find employment or childcare).
- Information on child development milestones and behaviors.
- Help with how to breastfeed and care for your baby.
Family Support Specialists are dedicated to working with you and your family. All Specialists are trained and knowledgeable about resources in the community. They can help you set-up appointments, like prenatal and well-child visits, and help you get the most of going to the doctor.
This is a voluntary program. You have the option to participate and can stop at any time. We have had other families share that even though they were unsure about enrolling for the program, they were later glad they did.
We understand you have a lot going on, especially with little ones or a baby on the way! The family support program is flexible and can schedule visits around your busy schedule. Family Support Specialists can meet with you at home or wherever is convenient and comfortable for you so you don’t have to travel or take extra time from your schedule.
This is a voluntary program and there is no pressure for you to participate. Please call and speak with one of our Family Support Specialists.
FIRST STEPS helps parents raise healthy, happy children.
First Steps is a no-cost family support program for San Diego parents and parents-to-be.
THE FAMILIES WE SERVE
- Low income (below 200% Federal Poverty Level)
- Teens (ages 13-21)
- Immigrants and refugees (foreign born parent)
- Military (child is dependent of active duty, guard, reserve, or veteran service member)
- CalWORKs beneficiary
- AND have additional stressors or vulnerabilities that warrant support
FIRST STEPS CAN OFFER
We connect you and your family with a Family Support Specialist. Together, you will talk about your child’s growth and hopes for their future.
The Family Support Specialist will help you:
- Make learning fun
- Be healthy
- Use positive parenting strategies
- Connect to doctors and other community programs
- Deal with the hard parts of parenting
- Lower stress
- Strengthen good relationships with each other
FAMILY SUPPORT SPECIALISTS:
- Support you in reaching your goals.
- Are trained and knowledgeable about resources in the community and can provide education and support to help you raise healthy children.
- Come from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.