PARENTS: ABOUT THE FIRST STEPS PROGRAM
Countywide Coordination & Support provided by:
The American Academy of Pediatrics, California Chapter 3 is the countywide coordinator for the First Steps program. AAP-CA3 is dedicated to achieving optimal health (physical, mental and social) for all children (infants, children, and adolescents) in San Diego and Imperial Counties, and is dedicated to supporting its’ membership in achieving this vision. Visit website.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Visits may include:
- Tips for staying healthy.
- Information on what to expect during your prenatal visits.
- Setting goals for the future (e.g., continue education, find employment or childcare).
- Information on child development milestones and behaviors.
- Help with how to breastfeed and care for your baby.
Family Support Specialists are dedicated to working with you and your family. All Specialists are trained and knowledgeable about resources in the community. They can help you set-up appointments, like prenatal and well-child visits, and help you get the most of going to the doctor.
This is a voluntary program. You have the option to participate and can stop at any time. We have had other families share that even though they were unsure about enrolling for the program, they were later glad they did.
We understand you have a lot going on, especially with a baby on the way! The family support program is flexible and can schedule visits around your busy schedule. Family Support Specialists can meet with you at home or wherever is convenient and comfortable for you so you don’t have to travel or take extra time from your schedule.
This is a voluntary program and there is no pressure for you to participate. Please call and speak with one of our Family Support Specialists.
FIRST STEPS helps parents raise healthy, happy children.
First Steps is a no-cost family support program for expectant parents and parents of newborns.
THE FAMILIES WE SERVE
- Are pregnant
- Meet income requirements
- Live in San Diego County
- Are looking for additional support
FIRST STEPS CAN OFFER
- Support during pregnancy and with your new baby
- Information about your baby’s growth and development
- Ways to make your home safer for your baby
- Skills to strengthen family relationships
- Connections to helpful resources, such as medical providers
- Help coping with the challenges of parenting
- Tools to better manage stress
FAMILY SUPPORT SPECIALISTS:
- Will talk about what to expect at each stage of your baby’s growth.
- Will help you learn fun and interactive ways to help your baby grow and learn!
- Will provide you with tips and tools for parenting.
- Support you in reaching your goals.
- Are trained and knowledgeable about resources in the community and can provide education and support to help you raise healthy children.
- Come from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.